Sometimes, while waiting for quantum computers to become a thing, or complaining that your stupid laptop keeps dying on 5 percent battery, it’s easy to forget just how far technology has come over the past 50 years.
Thankfully, pictures often speak louder than words, and so below are nine photos that’ll make you stop and raise your *praise hand* emojis to the sky in honor of the scientists and engineers that have got us where we are today.
7. Where are my vacuum tubes? I was promised vacuum tubes!
6. Bill, I’mma let you finish, but today’s researcher can fit 1,000 terabytes on a CD.
Speaking of, remember when we still all used floppy disks?
5. “One minute” has a very different meaning than it used to.
It’s no wonder time seems to be passing so much more quickly these days.
4. Fact: the computer that landed Apollo 11 on the Moon had less processing power than a TI-83 calculator.
Seriously, the Apollo engineers did some masterful wwork with the limited technology theyhad.
3. Speaking of space, we see things a lot more clearly now. 3. 1993 vs 2013 – all this can fit in your pocket.
Soon we might be able to replace our phone’s video with the blink of an eye, and its display with our own skin.
2. And things have gotten a lot smaller, too.
Even the future of space travel is miniature.
1. And this happened in just 9 years…